Chat is a form of instant text messaging executed electronically. The chat content is typed and sent through the internet to one recipient (one-to-one chat) or many recipients (one-to-many chat).
Worth to know
- Chat is a form based on a very popular in modern times, natural form of communication realized most often via short text messages, even though modern communicators also allow for the sending of audio messages or even files.
- Chat is a synchronous form of communication, even though we are used to the fact that a response may appear after a, usually short, period of time. It is important however to make sure that the time between messages is not too long because that defeats the purpose of chat.
- Chat requires less effort then a face-to-face conversation, it has natural pauses, because each side has to write their message. Because of that, chat appears as an alternative to phone calls as a form of contacting organizations, customer service departments, or services more and more often. In that case, one consultant can take care of multiple “conversations” at a time.
- In a chat open to clients it is worth asking a few questions first through a form or an automatic question chat. Thanks to that, the conversation with the consultant or expert will be better prepared.
- In training chat can be used in the 1-1 form or a group form. An informal chat for a training group is worth making in commonly used communication tools (Messenger, a Facebook group, Linkedin, Discord, WhatsUp, Viber, etc.).
- Chat can be a form of a talk session with a mentor or expert. The ability to have a conversation without the logistical costs makes it so that it is a very effective solution for a trainer who values direct communication.
- Chat during online meetings usually plays the part of a second channel of communication, in which people talking with their voices paste links or important information to remember.
- Chat can be a good supporting tool for any kind of video transmissions or webinars. When a webinar has a more of a lecture-like character and involves a lot of learners, it is worth getting additional people to lead the chat, they should be able to answer simple technical questions or collect factual questions and pass all of them (or just the most interesting) on to the trainer at the end of the transmission.
- Chat can be anonymous or not. Anonymity makes a person braver and allows them to open up easily, especially if they don’t know the other participants. In groups who work together there is usually no anonymity.